Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Jim the Boy by Tony Earley

This was a pretty good read. The thing I most enjoyed about this book was the way it portrayed "Jim the Boy". I could tell that the author has a pretty good memory of what it's like to be a 10 year old boy. I thought that he did a good job at making the characters realistic and likable but there were other things that I felt didn't add up. Supposedly this story is set during the depression and there were a few things that pointed that out. However, I felt like this was mainly a story about a normal boy living in a normal world. Which is fine. It just seemed a little off because it was set during the depression. I don't think I'm making any sense. =) I think I will buy it for my kids to read in the future. I think it's a good one to have on the shelf for the early teenager. It was totally clean - no swearing, no sex. All in all an engaging, heart-warming story.

Click here for a synopsis of the book and some reviews.

Here is a sample review:

A Remarkable Book, February 18, 2006
Reviewer: Anna Graham (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews

"It's hard to explain why this book is so good. It's not about the plot, which is barely existent--Jim simply grows up a little. It's not about the philosophy; it's not a pretentious book in any way, and the thoughts that run through it are neither deep nor shallow. It's not about the characters, who are beautifully portrayed yet nothing unusual. And it's not even the writing, which although flawless, doesn't feel showy or inspired. What makes this book so good is that every part of it comes together like an intricate three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle, completing a picture so fulfilling, so total, so lifelike, that you enter a new world in way that few authors allow their readers to do--it's a world as clear and distinct as your own. And when done, you've made friends with a young man whom you won't forget for years."

No comments: