Saturday, August 18, 2007

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

I love to read Jodi Picoult's novels because they really make me think. This book is about a school shooting and the trial that follows. She gives glimpses into the shooter's life and some of the victim's lives. I'm amazed at how often I found myself sympathizing with the shooter and almost hoping for his acquittal. It was really interesting to read and think about how children can be affected by their environment. Also, to see what the mother of the shooter was feeling and how devastated she was really interested me. So much blame was put on her.
At the same time, I don't know how realistic this book was. A lot of it was based on the bullying that this kid put up with for years and years. I just don't remember seeing people being treated like that when I was in school. It's hard for me to imagine that people can really be so cruel. Maybe I just lived in a bubble.
DISCLAIMER - there is language and some pre-marital sex going on in the book. Not my very favorite Jodi Picoult novel - but I found it very intriguing.

2 comments:

SmileKatieLovesYou said...

Wow!!! We are listening to this book on tape at school. It's really good!

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading this book, my very first Picoult book. I said the same thing you did that I didn't see this kind of bullying in my school. Maybe I was in a bubble as well. I am looking forward to reading more of her books.